The Liberals and Nationals have revealed a massive, $39 billion budget black hole and secret plans to cut services and sack workers on the eve of the state election.
(False: our costings document is fully funded – unlike Labor’s – and our policies include significant increases to frontline services for Victorians.)
The Liberals have promised over $54.3 billion in major infrastructure projects, but have only funded $11.3 billion of them.
(False: our first term commitments are fully accounted for and funded. Labor is deliberately conflating short and medium term commitments.)
They have ruled out borrowing, tax increases and value capture – meaning they can only pay for their commitments by sacking workers, closing schools and hospitals and cutting services that Victorians rely on. (False: see first paragraph.)
The Liberals’ costings detail:
· A $60 million shortfall for Maryborough Hospital
(False: construction to commence this term and to finish after 2022-23, Labor also committed to staging Maryborough Hospital)
· A $220 million shortfall for the Barwon Heads Rd duplication
(False: construction to commence this term and to finish after 2022-23)
· A $180 million shortfall for the Clyde rail extension
(False: this commitment is fully-funded as explained in the footnote on page 4 of the costings document)
· An almost $80 million shortfall on the Berwick-Cranbourne Road Duplication, and;
(False: this will be part of a PPP for the South Eastern Roads Package, as already announced)
· Not a cent for Frankston Hospital which the Opposition Leader committed to on Wednesday.
(False: contained within the local health initiatives on page 5 of our costings document)
· Not a cent for the Gap Road level crossing removal
(False: funded through our Intersection Removal Policy)
· A cut of $42.6 million from existing MFB and CFA budgets
(False: no budgets are being cut)
· A cut of $160 million from road safety initiatives
(False: TAC funds will be used to build safer roads as part of our larger $1 billion road fix commitment)
They’ve also lied about not imposing new taxes, announcing plans to burden retirees with increased charges from the Retirement Housing Ombudsman and plans to extend the Environmental Contribution Levy.
(False: Cost recovery is from retirement village operators only, not residents, while the ECL is simply the continuation of a Labor introduced levy)