Member for Malvern, Michael O’Brien MP, is encouraging all schools, community groups, children’s service providers and council to apply for a further $15 million in grants for new children’s facilities and upgrades.
Michael O’Brien said this latest round of grants in the Napthine Coalition Government’s record investment of more than $120 million in children’s centres was another big boost for local families.
“These capital grants will deliver state-of-the-art infrastructure where demand for quality early years children’s services is strongest,” Mr O’Brien said.
“This is great news for local children and families, not just now, but for well into the future”.
For the first time, some grants will be open to non-government schools, ensuring they can build or upgrade facilities on the same site as schools.
Communities will be able to apply for five types of Children’s Capital Grants:
· Integrated Children’s Centre Grants, worth up to $1.6 million, support the building of brand new centres offering kindergarten, day care, maternal and child health and early childhood intervention services under the one roof;
· New Early Learning Facilities Grants, worth up to $650,000, support communities to establish new standalone early learning facilities to meet demand for kindergarten programs;
· Early Learning Facility Upgrade Grants, worth up to $350,000, support existing children’s centres to upgrade and extend facilities to meet demand for programs and to attract other children’s services, such as maternal and child health, to the centre;
· Minor Infrastructure Grants, worth up to $10,000, for small refurbishments that will enhance the quality of the kindergarten programs at a service; and
· Information Technology Grants, worth up to $1,500, to upgrade digital hardware at children’s centres, particularly those in most financial need.
This grants round is open from 18 June with expressions of interest for main grants closing on 11 July and applications for minor IT grants closing on 25 July 2014.
For more information please visit www.education.vic.gov.au/ecsmanagement/capitalprogram