Daniel Andrews has broken the promise he made to Victorians that there would be no increased or new taxes under a government he leads.
Not once or twice, but 39 times.
Dan has no plan for Victoria’s economy or jobs. Dan’s only plan is to slug struggling Victorian families and small businesses with more taxes.
New and expanded taxes under Daniel Andrews and Labor:
- A new stamp duty on property transfers between spouses (2017-18)
- An increased stamp duty on new cars (2017-18)
- A new stamp duty on off-the-plan purchases (2017-18)
- A new so-called ‘vacant home’ tax (2017-18)
- Widening of vacant residential land tax to uninhabitable properties (2019-20)
- Retrospective increase in insurance duty for overseas-based insurers (2019-20)
- A new annual property valuation to increase land tax
- Cladding rectification tax (2019/20)
- Environment Mitigation Levy
- Increased luxury car tax (2019-20)
- Increased land tax for homes with contiguous blocks on a separate title (2019-20)
- Increased Fire Services Property Levy (2015-16)
- Increased Fire Services Property Levy (2019-20)
- A new point of consumption gambling tax
- A tripling of brown coal royalties (2016-17)
- Gold mining royalties (2019-20)
- A new tax on Uber and taxi fares. (2016-17 Update)
- A new corporate restructure duty (2019-20)
- Increased foreign stamp duty (2019-20)
- Increased foreign stamp duty (2016-17)
- Introduced foreign stamp duty 2015-16)
- Increased absentee landowner surcharge for foreigner property (2019-20)
- Increased absentee landowner surcharge for foreigner property (2016-17)
- Increased absentee landowner surcharge for foreigner property (2015-16)
- A new city access tax for West Gate Tunnel
- A new ‘on-dock rail’ charge on imported shipping containers
- Increase to the Municipal and Industrial Landfill Levy (‘bin tax’)
- Road Occupation Charge on construction companies
- Number plate tax
- Electric Vehicle tax
- A new affordable housing tax (windfall gains on rezoned land)
- Increased land tax on taxable landholdings above $1.8 million
- Increased stamp duty on property transactions
- Expanded point of consumption tax on gambling to keno
- 10 per cent increase to Victorian Government penalty units
- Expanded land tax on gender-exclusive clubs
- Mental health payroll tax surcharge
- Increased wagering and betting tax
- Increased Fire Services Property Levy (2021-22)
Victorians need a government with a plan to grow our economy, not tax those who are working hard and doing it tough.
Comments attributable to Leader of the Opposition, Michael O’Brien:
“Victorians need a government that has a plan to grow the economy, not punish hard working Victorian families and small businesses with more taxes.
“Labor has made Victoria the highest-taxed state in the country. Dan’s only plan is to slug Victorian families and small businesses with more taxes.
“The Liberal Nationals’ positive plan would see Victoria be the best state in Australia to set up a small business.”
Comments attributable to Shadow Treasurer, Louise Staley:
“We have seen time and time again that when Labor runs out of money, it comes after yours.
“Victorians are sick of seeing their taxes be used to patch over Labor’s waste and mismanagement of projects.
“The Liberal Nationals believe in growing our economy and making Victoria the best place to live, to work, to grow up and to grow old.”