The Liberal Nationals have again called for the Andrews Government to revisit the restrictions on outdoor Remembrance Day services before Wednesday.
Shadow Minister for Veterans Affairs Tim Bull said he had been contacted by RSL Sub-Branches and families of veterans who said it made no sense that 70 people can get together to drink in a beer garden, but Remembrance Day attendance was restricted to 10 at cenotaphs in Melbourne and regional Victoria.
“There is clearly a desire in the community to have Remembrance Day outdoor service restrictions fall in line with the restrictions that apply to other similar settings which can have up to 50 people,” Mr Bull said.
“Communities should be given the opportunity to mark Remembrance Day together, but the State Government won’t budge.
“The element that does not make sense is that these services are short, generally going for around 10-15 minutes.
“It is an important day for many to be able to reflect and commemorate not only those who made the ultimate sacrifice, but all those who served.
“Victorians have done the heavy lifting to stop the spread of COVID-19, with ten days in a row of no new cases and just four active cases in a state of nearly 6.5 million people.
“This year’s services will mark 75 years since the end of World War II and come at a time when communities are looking to reconnect after months of separation.
“The public health advice suggests that gatherings of up to 50 people outdoors are safe for other outdoor services. Gathering limits for Remembrance Day must be brought in line with these restrictions. We are keen to work with the Government to deliver this outcome.”